My mother, who was the original Master Chef (in my humble opinion) made this delectable casserole, and it was always a favorite side dish of mine as a youngster. It’s very simple to make, but the simplicity is packed with flavor!
What you will need:
- 2 lbs. Sliced Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup Chopped Onion
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 cup Grated Mild Cheddar, Cheddar Jack Cheese (Cheese types are your choice, honestly)
- 8 oz pkg Herb Seasoned Stuffing Mix
- 1/2 cup melted Margarine or Butter
In a saucepan, cook sliced squash and onion in salted, boiling water for 5 minutes then drain. In a large mixing bowl, combine soup and sour cream, then add in carrots and fold in drained squash and onion. Blend in 3/4 cup of cheese, margarine/butter. Spread half of the stuffing mix into the bottom of an 11 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish. Spoon squash mixture over top, then sprinkle the remainder of stuffing mix and cheese over the veggies.
Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes until brown.